Thursday, June 12

LINEA 5 TERRE

On Sunday (June 8) it was somewhat overcast so I decided that today would be a good day for a boat trip. There are a couple of lines that ply the towns of the Cinque Terre from about 9:30 AM until 6:30 PM. Tourists spend an hour or so in each town then catch the next boat to the next town. I was more interested in the boat ride. I chose Linea 5 Terre. I did jump off at Monterosso al Mare for a few minutes and accidentally stayed on longer than my ticket allowed and ended up in Portovenere (a picturesque town although not actually part of the “Five Lands”).

Everyone has to get off in Portovenere, therefore I had to admit my mistake and buy a supplemental ticket. It was a fun afternoon. On the return trip a storm came up and the lightening strikes on the hills were spectacular. It got so rough that we weren’t able to disembark passengers at Manarola. We waited out the worst of it, away from the dock for about half an hour before continuing.

By the time I got back to Vernazza the storm had begun to subside and it was clear by late afternoon. And it was time for my new favorite. Semi-sweet chocolate gelato flavored with pepperoncini hot peppers. I discovered it on my first day in Vernazza. I had never seen it before and not since. Giovanni’s “woman” Lorenza formerly owned the gelato shop where I got my prized flavor (her niece now owns it). Apparently Barbara Streisand visited and later told a reporter that Lorenza’s shop had the best gelato in the Cinque Terre. I agree.

Leaving Vernazza.


Approaching Monterosso al Mare.








Manarola.





Riomaggiore.


The old fortress at Portovenere.







On the way back outside of Portovenere.



The storm starts.



Corniglia behind a sheet of rain.




From my balcony.