Thursday, June 12

HIKING THE CINQUE TERRE

The charm of the villages, nestled into the folds of the mountains, isn’t the only draw to the area. There are extensive trails to explore with outstanding views. Gardens, vineyards and olive groves interspersed with many types of wildflowers. Originally these footpaths were the only way to get around except by boat. Now there is the rail system and some of the outlaying areas are even connected by roads. But many of the tourists flock here to take advantage of long, varied and sometimes strenuous hiking trips. I opted for the one from Vernazza to Corniglia. You will see from the pictures that many are paved (although the paving is ancient and washing away in many areas). I took the backpack with water and snacks. I also took the cell, as the drop down the side of the paths is frequently steep, rocky, often a long way down and covered with vegetation. A plea for help might not be heard. A body might never be found.

On my way out of town.




Just leaving the town of Vernazza.






Castello Doria of Vernazza.





A German tourist and his daughter stopped and insisted they take my picture.





A memorial to a lost hiker?






Monterosso al Mare in the background. Hikers on the trail to the right.










Nets for catching olives.




Naturalist beach is at the shore in the center of the picture.


Sign for "Free" access to Naturalist beach, if you are brave enought to take the trail.




The Naturalist beach is getting closer.


This is certainly a lot of effort just to take off my clothes.


I am half way to the Naturalist beach down below.


Photo of Naturalist beach pointing away from the bathers.


The village of Corniglia.





In the town of Corniglia.





Looking south to Maranola from Corniglia.


View from an observation point in Corniglia looking north (from where I hiked).


Stairs from Corniglia down to the train station.


I was tired. I took the train back.