Monday, May 19

THUNDER






Last evening, in the middle of a conversation with my father the phone just quits.
I feel like swearing but the only Italian cuss phrase is the one Simona taught me and it doesn’t seem quite appropriate to invoke slanders about a grandmother’s privates on this occasion.

Anyway, I made sure those little gleaming numbers, on the cell, knew just how angry I was…just by the way I punched in 4916. Fortunately, I have converted the 4916 portion of the TIM phone service numbers to English prompts.

In her very perky authoritarian voice, the automated bitch-circuit with her poshly proper uppity British accent chimed in (literally there is a chime but only a little sorta constipated Big Ben sound). In perfectly phrased Brit bits of circuitry I am given notice “TIM Pre-Paid Service.” Her passive aggressive circuitry goes on with a long drawn out “Good Evening” like the circuit ran a little too close to a Bella Legosi Dracula download. “Your remaining credit is 25.09 Euro cents, VAT included.” Why did that rude-ass circuit leave me 25 Euro cents? She officiously continued on through my thought process “Up dated to the last recorded transaction.” Why the bloody hell 25 Euro cents? Then it finally dawns on me that this amount allows just enough time is leave a TEXT MESSAGE for the person they cut off. Yea, like I’m going to TEXT my dad or he is going to TEXT me. Why not just chime in one minute earlier, like any other self-respecting pay-phone would do and warn a bloke that it’s time to bugger-off and go have a pint.

So I scrambled out the door to see if the TIM Store was open. Of course not. Ok, so where is there a tobacco shop (they sell pre-paid cards). Santa Croce is always busy late, so I ventured over there and I was right to do so. Jolly Good!

Got home and used a coin to scratch off the foil to get the secret code number…not remembering until halfway through that there was an Internet traveler’s admonition to scrape lightly.

T-O-O-O LATE!

Now only half of the numbers remain. I tried to piece together the dust-light remains as best I could and tried to enter my best archeological reconstruction of the numbers but the bitch circuit admonished me for my inaccuracy. It was late, I went to bed.

It rained on and off during the day yesterday but was clear and nice in the evening. The same weather pattern lingered today. It was early to rise, as I had to get to the TIM store before my reservation for the “Secret Passages” tour of the Palazzo Vecchio (my second trip to the building).

The special tour is only given a few times a day and only to small groups. There were seven of us plus the guide and the door-unlocker-relocker person. There was a great introductory to the history of the building then down into the lower reaches of the structure to start the tour. From the original foundations to the attic structure and the separate attic ceiling support structure for the ceiling of the grand “Room of the 500” and everything in between that isn’t open for the general admittance fee. This was only $2.00 Euro more and well worth it. We spent a lot of time in Cosimo’s private quarters some of which are the only rooms that have never been changed nor have been reconstructed. We went into his safe room (dull stone but secure) and his (and later his son’s) secret room. His son did experiments here out of the sight of the clergy. No servants were even allowed in the room and it is one of the few that is not decorated with religious guilt art. All the paintings depict the science of the time. Even inside it is difficult to decide how to get out. The doors are framed paintings. One fascinating thing was the floor. Many of the original floors are comprised of dark gray stone, white marble and red marble. The dark stone is Florentine, the white is Carrara marble and the red marble if from Sienna. This was to show cohesiveness to these three regions under the domination of Florence at that time, as this was the governmental headquarters. The hour and a half was over before I realized. The guide was very knowledgeable and fielded any and all sorts of questions.

Afterwards I went home and had pasta and printed a “passport” sized picture for my gym card at the new gym, Palestra Ricciardi. It is located within a ten-minute walk. It is a great old gym spread out on the ground and basement levels of three ancient buildings. There is a garden courtyard in the middle and visible to all the workout spaces. Greenery, flowers and today even rain to watch while working out. Wonderfully relaxing. And some thunder to drown out the grunting weightlifters who want you to know they are tough and working out hard, to diminish the beer gut those types usually have.

There was a real downpour while I was at the gym. The windows were open letting in all the freshly rain scrubbed air. A cool breeze came through the azaleas and roses right into the workout room. It was such a rejuvenating atmosphere to focus on while working out. It made the time fly.

Some equipment is very old and some is state of the art. The staff is helpful, the price is reasonable and there are precious few people there in the afternoon. I am so happy. It is an especially great thing to have to do when the rain limits other activities.

The rain was mostly stopped by the time I left. I stopped at the Magi Market to get a few things and then headed back home.

I just now got e-mail confirmation on a room with private bath and a balcony with a view of the sea. This is for the Cinque Terre for three nights beginning the 6th of June. With all the “no availability” e-mails I kept getting I was afraid I wouldn’t get to stay in that area. I am staying in Vernazza one of the five (cinque) towns of the area. All built on the cliffs over-looking the Ligurian sea. Great hiking trails between the five towns. No cars allowed. There will now be time for swimming.

Finally made contact with my friend Ross (Rosario Emanuele) from Montevarchi. We met at my gym in Los Angeles. He is visiting Lucca for a few days so we will make plans later in the week. Last year he had promised to take me motor scooter riding throughout the Chianti lake district. I hadn’t heard from him in so long I thought he was angry because I didn’t take the rental he offered. Unfortunately the apartment he rents is in Montevarchi located a half an hour out of Florence.

Well, I have driveled on long enough. I think I will go back out to listen to the violinist standing between the columns of the Ufizzi. He stands under the portico to stay warm. It is quite chilly and there are few people out. The mood of the music takes on a different meaning when I watch from the back of the Ufizzi portico, and he then appears to be playing in complete solitude among the columns and the statues. The mood is amazing.

Your pictures for the day are: Gelato from across the street, Giuliano Ghellli’s “Exercise in Terracotta,” fresh carved meats in a great working class Santa Croce outdoor market, “We Have Hunger, Help Thank You” although “thank you” is spelled wrong (Grazie) and a forgotten sundial.